Located in the heart of National Capital Territory of Delhi, Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences enjoys the best of what Old and New Delhi has to offer. Surrounded by Chandni Chowk, Daryaganj, Connaught Place and the Ferozshah Kotla, it is at the hub of cultural, entertainment and intellectual activities. MAIDS is situated in a spacious campus alongside the city's four prestigious landmark hospitals namely, Maulana Azad Medical College, Lok Nayak Hospital, G. B Pant and Guru Nanak Eye Centre. The first mention of Lok Nayak Hospital (formerly Irwin hospital) can be traced to 10th January 1930 when Lord Irwin laid down the foundation stone of the hospital. Indian Medical Service at that time was heavily manned by the British. In 1940, Col. Curickshank of the Indian Medical Service (IMS), a British national, was appointed Medical Superintendent of Irwin Hospital and Chief Medical Officer of New Delhi. The medical and dental institute derived its name from Maulana Abul Kalam Azad who was the first Union Minister of education and scientific research of independent India. The dental wing of Maulana Azad Medical College, as this institute was called originally was served by honorary dental surgeons Dr. P. P. Sawhney and Dr. P. K. Khurana. Later on Dr. P. P. Thukral, joined Maulana Azad Medical College as the first Associate Professor in Dentistry and Head of the Dental Wing in Nov 1983 when the First BDS batch was started. He was succeeded by Dr. A. N. Srivastava, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, who headed the Dental Wing from 1984 till 1989.Dr. N. C. Sangal, another Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon headed the Dental Wing from 1991 till 1995 when Dr. Mahesh Verma took over the reins.